Wednesday 3 January 2024

...and so we start again

This week we have returned from our festive break and for some, like myself, today was my first day back at work.  The two weeks seem to have flown in but it's an important time to reflect on everything and take a break.  Unfortunately I won't be the only one that came down with the cold.  As soon as my brain tuned into holiday mode, BAM it was a snot fest.  I'm sure my body is trying to tell me I'd been running on empty for too long.  Note to self - listen more carefully and take care.  Spare parts for older models are harder to come by!
This is my first blog in about 6 weeks and the reason is simple.  Until the last week I haven't been able to run because of my knee injury although I have been working in the gym to rehab the knee and to improve my core strength.  But no squats for 4 months so I'm having to improvise to build back the VMO muscle above the knee.
For once my "economical" style of running (i.e. lazy and don't lift my feet) is good as it restricts the amount of knee bend which will help my knee heal quicker.  I'm now up to 8km but as my cardio is poor, I'm running slowly and will take my time in build it up, but NO downhill running.
Until yesterday I had no news about an "A" race for 2024, but Christmas came late for me.  I hadn't got through the ballot for the West Highland Way race - this was my third time of applying.  Beth didn't get in either.  But I was in the first 50 pulled out and was told if there were any refusals then they'd be offered in the order we were drawn out in.  I then got a message to say 32 had withdrawn but I was in the last 18 so still no place.  However not all 32 paid their money on time or decided against the race so I got in - I think that is an good omen.
The race starts on Saturday 22nd June and you have 35 hours to complete the 95 miles and 14,760 ft of ascent (3.3 x Ben Nevis).  I've wanted to do this race for years and it attracts runners from all over the world - total number of runner 300 max but if anyone drops out now, they aren't replaced.  They budget that 20% drop out before the race.
I now have my focus and every training session is now geared to this race.  I just need to make sure I come back easy and don't damage my knee, again.  170 days to go and lots of adventures as I prepare for this epic race.  Beth & Stu, my crew for the race, are running The Highland Fling (first 53 miles of the West Highland Way) on 23rd April and I'll be training with them on the WHW and will support them during their race.  I've done it twice and it's a great event to be part of.
No new year resolutions (I believe it creates a negative mind set) but plenty of stretching goals ahead.  I hope 2024 is a wonderful year for you and your family.  Go get it!

1 comment:

  1. New Year’s Resolution #50. Make the most of it 🤓. I turn 50 this year.

    ReplyDelete