Sunday 21 January 2024

Stormy weather

It's hard to believe we're 2/3rds through January and the weather has been terrible.  As I type from my warm kitchen listening to the wind and rain on the window, storm Isha is battering the UK with winds up to 80 mph predicted.  I'm glad I got my run in early this morning before the rain and wind arrived, but the weather has forced me inside on numerous occasions this month to run on the treadmill which is never the same as outdoor running.  I've backed that up with the Stair Master which is a mind numbing piece of equipment, but important for my "A race".
I haven't got my distance above 8km so far and with the exception of one training run, I've been concentrating on being in zone 2 - taking it easy and keeping an eye on my heart rate.  I've also being staying on the flat to alleviate the pressure on my knee from running down hill.  I'm trying not to get despondent with my speed as it's early days, but I did throw in a Park Run 2 weeks ago and averaged 4:58 per KM so was pleased with that considering I've done no speed training.
My gym work continues and I am definitely getting stronger in the upper body and core but I am only now tentatively beginning to put pressure on my knee.  Definitely no squatting for some time but I need to build the muscle to protect my knees.  My yoga is going well and if I don't do it daily I really feel the difference so that's non negotiable.  Between Beth encouraging me (twisting my arm at times) to get to the gym and my PT Bartek putting me through my paces when I am there, I can't hide.  But having a training partner makes a big difference as you can motivate each other and also have someone to be accountable to which is vital in my opinion.  Thanks Beth even if it doesn't look like I appreciate it!!
Next Saturday Beth, Stu & I are meeting up with a crowd of runners who have entered the West Highland Way Race for a recce of part of the course at Loch Lomond.  I've done this section a few times in the Highland Fling but it will be nice to remind myself of the undulations on the route.  Hopefully there will be no issues with my knee on the downhills as I can't use poles which are not allowed in the race.
I hope your new year has started well and you are on track with your goals.  If you can't get out for the weather then there are loads of ways of staying fit indoors.  Most of all stay safe and enjoy being lucky enough to run, swim, bike, box, practice yoga or any other form of activity.  2024 is going to be a great year despite the storms we endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment