Sunday 17 February 2019

Run your own race

It’s been a week of ups and downs and I don’t just mean the hills!  Everything was going great and my stats were showing improved performance - even with my swimming!  But on Wednesday I got a wee reminder that my body has some issues.  One the 2nd hill rep my hip flexor felt like someone had stabbed it with a knife.  A sharp pain is never a good sign so I tried to stretch it off - more sharp pain so I jogged back to the office with my mind working through the implications for my 53 mile race in 9 weeks time.  The good news was I already had an appointment booked with my chiropractor Gill Fraser (Dingwall) - Strathkelvin Chiropractic Clinic - on Friday for my golfers elbow and I had had a few twinges in my back in the last few weeks.  The pain stayed as I was limping when I went to see her.
My back tweaks are connected to my pelvis which is connected to my hip flexor - I can feel a song coming on here.  I was on the table for 40 minutes and I’d like to say it was pleasant but it wasn’t.  However the minute I got off the table my back felt free and my hip flexor was pain free. Result.
The following day I tested it.  24km run at a half decent pace with my pals.  What a cracking run but I had to dig deep on the last 7km.  Fortunately I had Michael who was pushing the pace so I held on, just!
However with all long runs, the following day is a shorter, 1hr 20mins run but faster to work those tired legs.  When I woke up my back felt stiff, and no wonder after the chiropractor session and yesterdays run, so I did a series of back warm up exercises to loosen it off then headed out.  The wind was blowing at 40 mph and as I was on exposed hills, it was tough.  Only on one occasion did my hip flexor remind me it was there but fortunately it came to nothing.  I felt tired and relieved that this session was over and now I was going to support my pals who were running the Strathaven half marathon.
Watching a race puts a different perspective on it. When you’re in it you only see those around you.  This race is a tough one with some major climbing involved on roads that are exposed to the elements and there were plenty of them! 40 mph win and rain welcomed the runners of all levels and different shapes, sizes and ages.  From top runners to the rump of the pack and then the stragglers who are tackling this distance for the first time.  Every competitor has a goal in mind and whether they are running 5 min miles or 10 min miles or slower, they deserve a great deal of respect because they are out there doing it.  From a perceived effort point of view I believe the winner and the person who came in last both think they had pushed as hard as they could.  I saw one elderly runner, even by my standards, much further up the pack that their age might have suggested and then I notice their GBR vest.
So no matter what your pace or distance is, run your own race to the best of your ability.  Yes set challenging goals because a nothing grows in a “comfort zone” or  death zone as I refer to it.  The nights are getting lighter and we’ll soon be into better training conditions with the season fast approaching. Go and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment