Sunday 10 February 2019

1st podium of the year

This week was designed as a light weeks training and mid-week I had 2 days off training - loved it!  I had a back massage which wasn’t pleasant but needed.  I had my golfers elbow treated and the less said about that the better!  A few niggles that need sorting and my back tweaked on Saturday after working out so that’s going to require treatment this Friday.  As my coach said recently “I’m not biomechanically gifted”, and she’s not wrong, but it doesn’t stop me on pushing the barriers.  I just have to be mindful of my body.
On Friday I took a half day and headed off for a night of wonderful food, luxurious accommodation and the odd glass of wine or two with the mrs.  What a difference the shortened working week makes as it probably led to my podium.
The event was spread over a heat, a semi and a final.  The competition was tough and quite a bit of pushing in the group as we all battled to get out front and away from the pack.  Two competitors were given warnings for their behaviour which could have led to injury but in the end I battled through with a PB in each of the rounds.  The semi final was the toughest with me starting in the lead then losing it but as we lapped the slower competitors I managed to charge through a small space and take the lead and hold onto the end.  The final was an anti-climax as I had a 5 second lead by the end of the first lap and maintained it.  But that caused my mind to go negative - “don’t give up this lead, be careful, watch out for the back markers they could slow you down” but in the end I got through the race and got 1st place on the podium.  I love go karting and each of these 10 minutes was a workout!
Today I finished my light weeks training with a fast 10km and I’m encouraged with the level of my heart rate.  It’s saying everything is going to plan.  This week is going to be tough, particularly Fri, Sat & Sun.  Big miles to be done but after this week, I’m ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment