Sunday 20 January 2019

Juggling life, work and training

It’s something we all have to do - how to squeeze everything into the 168 hours in a week.  It might only be 8-10 hours depending on the intensity of the week, but the limited daylight it makes a difference.  I’ve had 2 6am starts this week and apart from running in the pitch black with a head torch, the ground has had a layer of ice adding another difficulty.
On Friday I was taking a long weekend so had an early run before leaving for Lake Windermere and got the bonus of the Saturday off.  I paid for that today with a double training session (2k swim and 14k run) but with the Fling only 13 weeks away I have a lot to do.  That’s not been helped by booking  a holiday in April but as I don’t run for a living, I had to prioritise.  That doesn’t mean I won’t be training on holiday and I discussed this with my coach this morning while we were out for a run.  She’s good at adapting the plan and while I might not be as fit as I would otherwise be, the Fling is there to help prepare me for Tahoe.
I also have another holiday before Tahoe but rather fortunately it is in a hot climate with hills. Therefore it will help me get ready for the change in temperature and the steep climbing.
Looking at my schedule for next week I’ll be having an early start on Tuesday to fit in a 40 min swim and a 1hr and 5 min run but it will be done.  I don’t like splitting the two sessions as when I have one in the evening things/life usually gets in the way.
So that gives you an insight into how I juggle my diary to fit everything in.  It’s not easy but it’s possible if you want to take on these challenges.  If you want it bad enough you’ll make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment