Sunday 13 January 2019

Hurt locker - revisited

Like many people, on Monday I returned to work refreshed and ready to go following the festive period.  It was a busy week and by the end of it I was exhausted and looking forward to the weekend. My training was good although I’ll share an amusing mishap with you from Thursday.  As all runners will know it’s better to “loose some weight” ,if you get my drift, before heading out as gravity can cause issues.  Let’s just say that I didn’t lose all the “weight” required and on turning for home it became obvious that a “pit stop” was required.  It was foggy and pitch black on a country road as I nipped behind a wall.  My head torch was helping me find some grass but most of it felt like straw except for something poisonous I managed to pick up.  I thought it was a nettle sting but grateful I didn’t use it to clean up or that might have brought on a PB for the last mile!  A trip to the chemist sorted the discomfort but its another reminder to get your preparation right before heading out!
Friday was a hard 2k swim and I enjoyed the session with no pain from my golfers elbow which is getting weekly treatment.
Saturday however was a completely different proposition.  It was meant to be a heart rate run and due to the weather I headed to Chatelherault to get some shelter from the elements - with the hills it’s difficult to keep your heart rate low.  Mark and Alan joined me for the first big lap but very quickly I realised the pace, which wasn’t fast, was going to put my heart rate above target, probably due to a tough week at work.  I should have made my excuses and dropped back but I was enjoying the company.  By the end of the lap I was ready for giving up but the problem was there was a fresh group of runners ready to go out for a big lap which I was meant to be doing as well.  Anyone who saw me to see I wasn’t in a good place either physically or mentally and I was just about to say to my coach that I’d swap tomorrow’s session for today and head home.  But then I though visiting the hurt locker was needed because it’s the nearest you get to the way you can feel in a race.
I headed out for the second lap but made it clear I’d be slow.  I knew my heart rate wouldn’t drop but I had to dig deep.  Michael & Wilson came to my rescue and dropped back with me to encourage me to continue while at the same time dishing out some abuse to keep me on my toes.  We ran at a very slow pace and I got round the second lap, their 1st, but by the end I was shattered.  I headed home and spent the rest of the afternoon eating, resting & sleeping.  The “take away” for me is that visiting the hurt locker makes you mentally stronger and next time it happens I’ll remember this run and take strength from it.
But what a difference 24 hours makes.  Today I had another heart rate run and had selected a flat course which would make it easier to achieve but the weather meant we were back at Chatelherault.  I made my intentions clear to my pals and within a few minutes I settled in with Genevieve (my coach) and Gareth.  I managed the vast majority run within my target heart rate - only on two occasions did it go 1 and then 2 heart beats above target.  The run was 50% of the previous days run however at all points today I felt strong and could easily have done another lap.  It shows the importance of rest, taking account of the impact of a working week, the benefit of plenty of quality food and running at the pace you need for your goal.  Comparing the pace of both runs they were identical however yesterday’s first lap was faster, where the damage was done, and second lap much slower - a definite lesson on pacing.
Whilst yesterday’s run hurt, it was one of those sessions that will pay dividends in the future.  I will draw strength from that experience of visiting the hurt locker.  Finally I reviewed my running in 2018 and it turns out I’d run 2,595 KM.  I’ve never paid any attention to this before so it will be interesting to see what distance I cover this year.  The adventure continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment