Sunday 31 January 2016

The wet month

January has been a wet month in more ways than one.  The weather has been atrocious and outdoor training outside has been miserable.  But the weather isn't the wet I'm referring to.  It's become fashionable for January to go "dry" however a stag weekend, 70th birthday party and a family wedding meant there was an overdose of "liquid carbs" which made the training even harder.
The last session of the month was a 3,200 m swim today and I was happy to have finished it.
There is 153 days to go and I've got a slight hamstring niggle but a bit of tlc and it will be fine.  It's a fact that 80% of runners are always running with some sort of niggle / injury.  The key is how you deal with it.
I'm missing the group swims, runs and bike rides as having company helps the motivation but this will happen in the coming months.  For ironman distance you do have to train on your own in order to prepare your mind to handle the boredom of the distances you have to complete. In one swim session this week I got 10 seconds of chat before we started , 15 seconds between one of the sets however we did get a coffee afterwards.
I'm looking forward to the lighter nights and mornings which hopefully will coincide with better weather.  I'll also be planning a training camp in the sun in order to get some big miles in on the bike and open water swimming. Before I know I'll be putting in 4 & 5 hour bike rides and practicing eating on the bike - can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment