Monday 14 September 2015

Experience prevails, eventually!

On Tuesday I headed back to the pool with the equivalent of "flipper" as my swim partner.  We worked on a set and while I didn't lose sight of her in the first 50 metres, I was lucky she hadn't lapped me by 400m.  Try as I might, every set we did I was a lot slower and was breathing out my bum!  Unfortunately any technique I had went out the "port hole" and it felt like I was wading through treacle.  When I went back on Friday I was all on my own.  So I decided to take it easy and continuously swim 1,600m - the most I had swam without a breather was 400m.  What a difference.  It was much easier for two reasons; 1 - I was going at a comfortable pace and not chasing anyone and 2 - I had set my mind that it was 1,600m without a break.  This doesn't mean I won't be swimming fast 100's in the next 9 months.  My programme starting in October will make sure of that, but I do need to keep my heart rate in check and maintain my form.
It's an identical story with my cycling on Saturday and Sunday.  Despite a blue van trying to wipe me out on a roundabout, I had to try and control a skid in the wet and jump the kerb to stay upright, I met up with the boys.  I knew it would be tough but was maxing out on my heart rate for 60 km while still keeping them waiting at the top of the hills.  It was holding them back and killing me so I cut the ride short at 60km so I could fight another day.
The following day I went out on my own for a different 60km with some tasty hills.  I kept a reasonable pace and monitored my heart rate to make sure I was in or as close to zone 2 as possible.  What a difference.  I enjoyed it, didn't breath out my bum and had the same average speed with a much lower heart rate than the day before - result! This is something I have known that to get fit and improve your endurance train in zone 2 on the long rides.  Looks like I'll have some lonely rides over the winter until I can improve my bike fitness.
Next weekend should be different as I head to Majorca for 4 days of cycling in the sun.  In preparation I've booked a sports massage tomorrow which will be a regular part of my training to keep my legs working.  It's not a pleasurable experience but to make it easier I'll be shaving my hairy legs tonight which will make the massage less painful.  The lengths I'll go to for Ironman!  At least the cyclists won't look disapprovingly at my legs anymore although I know what my wife's reaction will be!  I'll report back next week after some training in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment