Tuesday 4 January 2011

Review of 2010

I wasn't my intention to continue my blog but then again I didn't intend going beyond Ironman!  Thank you for all the encouragement over the year and we managed to raise £9,000 for Maggie's Cancer Caring Centres.  However unbelievably someone was inspired by the mission ironman story and donated £9,000 to Maggie's at the end of the year.  I do not know who this generous donation came from but wanted to say a heart felt thank you.
Life after Ironman was strange, it was like falling off a cliff.  No focus, no daily tasks to complete, I felt "lost".  Sure I had plenty of other things to do like spend time with the family, which was great, and run the business but something was missing.  Getting back to training was hard as I "couldn't be bothered" and anyway, what was the purpose?
Many lessons were learned over this period which I will share in due course but I'M BACK!  I've trained over the Xmas break and had a 7am session in the pool this morning that left me feeling great, assuming that means knackered and realising I have a lot of work to do on my swimming.  I have some big challanges lined up to 2011, 2012, 2013, 2104 and will share these shortly.
The highlight of 2010 wasn't completing the Ironman, it was Mr Baldy getting the all clear from his cancer treatment having battled extremely hard.  Let's hope Mr & Mrs Baldy's life will return to normal and he will come through on his promise of training for a novice triathlon!  Now there's a story worth following.

10 comments:

  1. Great that your back on the blog. Looking forward to future news - you might even inspire me to some exercise. With the snow I hav'nt managed to get out on the bike which I had promised to do.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick thank you for posting the first comment. The snow has been a problem but I am sure you will "get on your bike" soon and start to feel the benefit. Let me know how you get on - I'll be watching! All the best, Derek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you are back Derek although I doubt you have really been away in the truest sense of the word!

    While you haven't yet inspired me to action outside of my comfort zone, I have at least taken an 'old friend' of mine off the bookshelf. It is a book called 'The Edge' by Howard E. Ferguson and is a compilation of 750 of the world's (mainly American)successful sports competitors. It is a little old now but then again not much has really changed in success and winning since the days of Sun Tzu, and that wasn't yesterday!

    Wishing you a successful and fulfilled 2011 and beyond and I look forward to catching up with you soon.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from your Robert and thanks for posting a comment. It's not all about squeezing into lycra as I am sure you will be setting yourself a target at the golf this year, over and above collecting money from me as that's too easy! Come on, whatever the goal is get it down on paper and share it - that in itself craetes focus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Derek, excellent idea this. Commiting to goals, whatever they be is always good, but having accountability means there is more likelihood of that commitment becoming reality. I have kept myself in half reasonable shape since the Étape last year although since September I have not done too much as Linda has not been keeping in the best of health so priorities were changed. However all looking good now and I have looked at a challenge that I might well be happy to commit to. I need to look at the logistics of it with respect to time, but physically I feel I could manage with a reasonable amount of training so happy to commit this here once I've had a look at the time availability aspects. It would be good to get this up and running this year with a few of us "commiting" to whatever would be a challenge. Hope you are in good health and that Fiona and the family are all well too. Have a great 2011 and look forward to catching up soon!!
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy great to hear from you and I'm pleased Linda is well. Can't wait to hear about the challenge and if it fits into my schedule I'll glady join in. A sportive in say September would be ideal. Thanks for posting on the blog - spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, a Sportive later in the year also would fit in with my plans. In fact it was one of the things that I had intended commiting to, possibly a smaller one as there are plenty about. The Étape is well sold out already, but I was never convinced that I was going to do it again purely because of the numbers/safety aspect. Certainly glad that I did it, but now I've "got the T-shirt" maybe time to look at other challenges. I'll let you know about the main aim once I figure out when and how and if it can be fitted in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, bowing to pressure from The IronMan here and I'm going to put down a few of my resolutions / goals for 2011. Probably a good idea as I know he will harass me if any of them aren't well under way in a couple of months time!

    1. Circuit train twice per week
    2. Swim once per week... this one worries me and you'll notice I'm not committing to any distances yet!
    3. Play 'Altitudes' by Jason Becker. Any guitarists out there have a listen and you'll hear just how much work this is going to take. As a note, check out his life story. It shows that anyone can achieve their goals even when faced with the biggest obstacles - a truly inspirational character for me.
    4. 30 chin ups and 20 pull ups (gulp!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Iain - great to have you on board. Don't worry about the distance in the swimming, yet, just get in the pool. As for pull & chin ups you need to put down a frequency! I'll check out Jason Becker as that sounds interesting. Go for it and enjoy - keep us informed of your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, pulls and chins - i'll be training them throughout the year and the aim is by the end of the year to be able to do 30 and 20 in one set.

    Does the jacuzzi count for swimming!?

    ReplyDelete