Friday 29 March 2024

Missing mojo

 I'm sending out an appeal for anyone who has seen my mojo.  In the last month it has gone AWOL and when I think about it, I should have spotted the signs earlier.  I could give you a list of reasons why my mojo has disappeared but there's no point.  They'd really just be excuses and as a runner, niggles/injuries are just part of the gig.
But I'm not going to be too hard on myself as I'm not a full time athlete and have a life and work outside of the sweaty lycra.  My living doesn't depend on my results but how I feel is certainly impacted when I am not training on a regular basis.
I've kept up my gym work with my PT and progress with my knee is being made.  It's getting a balance between strengthening the muscles without causing further damage.  It constantly reminds me it's still "there" and I dread sitting in a cramped position for any length of time.  When I run it lets me know it's there and I have no idea what it will be like when the long runs, that are way overdue, start.
But this morning I saw on FB someone raise a "west highland way" glass to a runner no longer with us and thought, that's the message I needed to get my finger out.  I can't get back the training I haven't done so let go of it. I have 84 days to get my self in the best possible condition to tackle the 96 miles in my target time of 30 hours.
As long as my training is consistent and relevant then when I am nervously "toeing the start line" at 1am on 22 June I'll be good to go.  The physical side is important but what matters most in these long races is my mental state.  I will be trying to avoid going 12 rounds in my head during the race about my lack of training.  I'll be focusing on the challenge of the race, the beauty of the scenery and how lucky I am to be on this side of the turf and able to drink some whisky when I finish from my WHW crystal glass.
Welcome back mojo and thank you to the person who put up the post on FB.  Sometimes you have no idea how far a message can reach.  Just like a pebble causing a ripple effect in a pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment