Monday 19 February 2024

Building slowly

123 days to go before I take on the challenge of the West Highland Way - 96 miles.  The maths is simple.  If you manage 2.74 miles per hour (4.38 km per hour) you will finish on the 35 hour cut off.  Sounds easy but it's more complicated than that as I won't be moving 100% of the time as there will be checkpoint stops to refuel and rest.  There's 14,000 ft of climbing so the pace will obviously vary plus I want to finish in under 30 hours if everything goes to plan.  The challenge is more mental; keeping your mind focused on the task for 30-35 hours  and over coming the pain, but that's what excites me.
My training plan is to get stronger in the gym to reduce injury risk before and during the event.  I don't intend "pounding the streets" with junk miles.  I'm concentrating on keeping my heart rate down so that means slower running.  Consistency is the key so todays 8km early morning run will be repeated regularly and increase to 15 km soon.  Where possible I'll be on the trails and last weekend 12 out of my 18 km on Saturday was on trails along the Clyde.  I'd hoped for a longer run but the route was closed by the farmer.
I have no races organised between now and June 22-23 and am comfortable with that.  On Sunday I supported Beth and her daughter Holly who completed the tough Glentress trail half marathon - I did it last year.  I enjoyed watching the competitors take on the challenging 10, 21 & 42 km races but didn't feel ready myself to compete, so enjoyed being a spectator. 
I'm still not back to  100% fitness with my knee and don't want to jeopardise the months of rehab by risking it on such a technical course.  Runners of all shapes, sizes and ages took part and the event had a friendly atmosphere.  It reminded me why I enjoy trail running more than anything - the people and the beautiful areas we get to run in.
If we don't have the time to run on the West Highland Way then we'll make full use of Tinto, our nearest mountain.  It's not the biggest mountain at 711m but 3 or 4 reps is a good way of preparing your body. My aim is simple; to train smart and not over do it.  I'd rather reach the start line under trained but not injured than over trained and injured.  There's more daylight time now meaning earlier morning runs which sets me up for the day.  I hope to see you guys out on the trails soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment