Sunday 1 October 2023

Great Scottish Run Half Marathon 2023

What a day.  What an event.  What a race.  It's estimated 30,000 took part in the half marathon but all I know is Glasgow "came alive".  The runners, experienced or otherwise, came out to complete either their 10th or their 1st.  The sun shone.  The crowds lined the streets and cheered us on.
I was in the purple pen and separated from Beth, Holly & Stuart that I was travelling with.  I met my pal Beardy which was good but there was so much chatter going on from excited runners that I shrank into myself and just focused on the starting pistol.  I was unsure I could complete the race due to my knee injury but I was going to give it my best shot.
I was aiming for 1 hour 45 mins and knew from last year that the pacer starts off fast up St. Vincent Street.  After 500m I'd lost Beardy, he was flying and after 3km I was doubting my knee would last and I was considering pulling out.  Then I thought about my WHY.  This was a lead up to the Amsterdam marathon in 2 weeks time.  It was to test my ability to maintain a fast pace, faster than I'd ever achieve in training.  Faster than I'd run all year.  And I was injured.
Beth was also injured with plantar fasciitis but she was going to push through the pain.  They say 80% of runners are running injured but we weren't going to let spoil our day.
I lost the 1:45 min pacer at 5km.  He was doing sub 5min kms which was too fast for me.  But the time made up with the sub 5's offset against the slow K's in Pollok park.  Once again my heart rate defied logic.  Running my fasted time this year and my average heart rate was 147 with a max of 157.  It goes higher in Strathclyde Park running slow!  But my other watch showed I had been in AFib - it's all about the rhythm.  I hit my 1:45 target and Beth was happy(ish), being 5 mins behind although she would have preferred being 1 minute ahead!  A successful day. Fortunately the meds are working so tomorrow is a new day. Training starts for Amsterdam in 13 days time.  I think both Beth & I will enjoy the scenery around the route rather than go for a PB as we don't have the training in us.  But then again, who knows.  It will depend on the WHY.
But Glasgow you rocked today.  Thank you to everyone who cheered us on.  Being "inside the ropes" is such a privilege and I will never take it for granted being able to take part in these events.



No comments:

Post a Comment