Sunday 10 September 2023

Bloody ballots

The UK is one of the most active ultra running scenes in the world.  We have so many different races you are spoiled for choice, if only you could get in them!  Last week I said we'd got the first half of our year planned.  That would have been the case if 2 out of the three of them didn't go to a ballot. The West Highland Way hasn't opened yet but I have lost out twice before so fingers crossed.  Beth & I applied for the Montane Lakeland 50.  She got in, I didn't.  Went for a charity place and 15 minutes after it opened I was number 751 in the queue, didn't get in.
The only race that is booked is The Lap (Lake Windemere) 43 mile Anti-clockwise in September next year and I'm glad to say, we're in.  I only found out about it last night from our pal Stu who has also entered - the race entries opened 2 hours ago and it's almost sold out!
I have a good for age for the Boston Marathon and entries open tomorrow so again, fingers crossed.  It's in April and 2 weeks after it is the Chiltern 50 miler which opens next weekend.
In the meantime my quads have some issues that are being worked on by my "medical team".  Running down even a slight decline is painful but running on the flat is fine.  I've also started work with a personal trainer to get stronger so hopefully that will help.
I'm investigating a "big race" in the next couple of years as I haven't succeeded in anything "big" since Tahoe in 2019.  Races in the heat are probably out due to my AF so it looks like I maybe going cold!  I'm excited about that but a my research is just starting.
With the Glasgow half marathon 3 weeks away, I ran 16/21&13km in the last fours days with my dodgy quads.  I have my fingers crossed that I can build up some speed work as I really want to "give it a go" and get a PB.  I also have to remember we have the Amsterdam Marathon two weeks after it so my mileage is going to increase.  I've enjoyed my training runs this week but need to lose the sharp pains in my quads.
There is a great deal of planning in advance required to put together a good race calendar for the year ahead and you success in getting into some races comes down to luck.  So plan well ahead and look into the application process as well as the race as you can get caught out.  As for the ballots, it's a sign of the success of ultra running in the UK and many of the entrants are from overseas as was demonstrated in the Montane Lakeland 50 (& 100) and every year in the West Highland Way.  I can only keep my fingers crossed for the WHY which would be amazing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment