Sunday 23 July 2023

It's about the people

What an adventure this weekend has been.  The Highlander, Backyard, Last One Standing was an incredible experience.  The rules are simple - 6.7km loop with 146m of elevation and you have an hour to do it.  Then repeat until you drop out.  On average I completed my laps in 49 mins and in the remainder of the time you can rest, eat, stretch and then be back at the start line to repeat on the hour.  If not you're a DNF.  It started on Saturday at 12 noon and I came out of the race after completing the 11th hour, in the dark - 73.4km total.  As I type there are two guys slugging it out and they have completed 32 laps!!!  Can you imagine that?  It doesn't matter how fast you are as long as you complete the lap in an hour and are ready to start again.  The Scottish record is 39.  The world record completed in Austria this year is 103 - yes over 4 days!
Stu only managed 6 laps and was timed out on the 7th lap but his stomach wasn't good - last year he completed 10 and timed out on 11 so it just wasn't his day.
We were both supported by Beth, and Poppy her beautiful springer spaniel, who made sure we had all the food, hydration and anything we needed when we came in - it was a quick turnaround and I don't know how some people did it without support - one of the current leaders has no support and is averaging 40 min laps!
We were delighted to be joined by the legend Rosie Bell who hadn't had a good run up to the race having been injured.  Rosie managed 20 laps and when I went to bed in the campervan at midnight, I felt guilty that she would be self supporting during the night.  The night is very tough as not only is it cold but all you can see is what your headlamp captures and it's easy to become disorientated as to where you are especially in the woods where it's difficult under foot.  When I woke in the morning and opened the van door Rosie was coming in.  She managed 1 more lap but was injured and decided to call it a day or it would set her back for future races - wise call.  But 20 laps!  Almost double what I did.
How do you keep going.  My approach was breaking the loop down.  Run for 2 mins to a speed bump, walk the hill for next 5 mins, turn the corner and run 2k trying to complete each km in 6 mins.  Get to the corner that turns uphill at 18 mins - walk the hill for 16 mins, take it easy through the forest 4 mins, then down hill for 2km to the start.  I was very consisted but in the middle my heart rate started climbing to 190.  My cardiologist had said if that happened take 2 pills.  I did and my heart settled into a better rhythm at a lower rate for the rest of the race - good to know that tactic works otherwise I'd have pulled out.
I met loads of runners, particularly on the long walk up the hill.  Two Polish guys were lovely, one managed 32 laps.  I met Stuart Ritchie a PT who trains people for Everest and other expeditions - check out www.trekandclimbfitness.com.  Everyone had an interesting story.  There was a father (about my age who did 13 laps) with his son & daughter running.  The runners were so friendly but that's ultra running for you.  Everyone employed different tactics whether it be walking the hills and running the downhills or the other way round.
I passed Alan (who I only found out at the end I'd been calling Andy) on the steep downhills as he saved his legs and on my last lap he offered to do the next one with me at my pace to get me round (and over 50 miles).  It was a lovely offer but I had made my mind up on lap 9 that I was only going to do 11.
Was I too tired, no.  Was I injured, no.  Then why stop?  I was bored and didn't have a WHY?  This was an experiment to try a different format.  If you want a mind f@ck, then this race is perfect for that.  If you can be so focused on the plan and not deviate then you'll do well but I didn't have a good enough WHY so decided not to hurt myself anymore than you do running almost 74km.  I have the Amsterdam Marathon in October and I will be pouring everything into that as I have a WHY which I'll share nearer the time.
Beth got to know the other supporters and thoroughly enjoyed their stories.  She put in a hell of a shift looking after Stu, Rosie and me.  Beth has her big race in less than two weeks time in Romania and it was great for her hearing from other experienced athletes like Lynsie and share tips.
For me this event was about trying something different.  What it taught me, if I didn't know it already, was the importance of mental strength because in the end that determines whether you succeed of fail and in this race, only one person succeeds.  Everyone else is disqualified.  I've talked about this many times before but you must have a WHY and the critical question is - How bad do you want it?  That's all that matters, just ask the last two competitors who are going round that 6.7km lap praying that the other guy will drop out so they can stop and claim the well earned title of Scottish Last one Standing. 
I'd like to thank the amazing organisers and volunteers who are there throughout and were always cheering and smiling as we past.  They don't finish till the race is over so it's a long event for them - well done guys.  As I said, it's all about the people and that's what makes ultra running so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment