Monday 9 August 2021

Ultra Race Romania - Day 1

URR Stage 1

Distance 32km, Elevation 1,236 m, Max.Grade 37.1%, Min Grade -29.8%  Completed in 5hrs 42 mins.  The best way of describing this course in the beauty and the beast.  My plan was to run what I could before the climb and was in 4th place when the climb started.  The most beautiful forest awaited us but OMG the gradient was a killer.  That's not helped by the temperature which was 34 degrees and I was carrying a rucksack with 24 kgs.

It was a slog and nearing the highest point I missed a turning and started running down hill.  Fortunately a Romanian runner Michael shouted to me which was very generous as I then past him.  Reaching the highest point was a relief but the way down wasn't much easier with the terrain being difficult under foot.  I didn't want to lose my place and gave it everything but the last 5kms were touch and go as I tried to stay upright  I'd hydrated plenty and taken the usual amount of salt but it was obvious my body was closing down and putting one foot in front of the other was difficult.  

The only dangerous point was the sheep dogs I mentioned before.  I had 5 of them snarling at me as I was  backed against a tree but the shepherd sorted it. Apparently they don't understand English and I might meet them again tomorrow!  I did come across some bear paw marks but fortunately didn't see them! 
Towards the end there was a river off to my right and I had decided just to walk into it when I came round the corner and there was the finish line.  All the volunteers were cheering and Andrei ran out with a Union Jack.  I made the mistake of lying down while waiting for water and that's where the cramp kicked in.  I then headed to the river and lay in it fully clothed to try and wash the clothes and soak my body.  I've had my recovery drink, took more salt and had a snooze.  I'm looking forward to my first camp foot, spag bol, which I am sure will be worth the weight in carrying it!

Plenty of rest required because tomorrow is 38km with 1,826m of climbing. My game plan is to run the first couple of KM before the big steep climb starts and that's where the power walking begins.  But it's slower than UK pace due to the heat, gradient and rucksack so be patient if tracking me.  I'll run the downhills if the terrain permits and I'm safe to do so.  I need to keep some in the tank as Wednesday is a really tough day.

Ultra Race Romania.  This is a really tough course but the organisation is fantastic.  As there is no signal at the camps the organiser takes the emails off sight at the end of the day so you'll probably be a day behind.  At least if you track me you'll get the times.  I'm chuffed with 3rd place today and let's see what I can do on day 2 that leaves me in reasonable condition for day 3.  I'm not even going to talk about day 4 as I need to get there first.  Thanks for your support.

#wherelegendsmeet

No comments:

Post a Comment