Sunday 20 September 2020

A change is as good as a rest

I'm very fortunate to be in ATHelite Triathlon Club.  A friendly bunch of athletes who support, cagoule and encourage you to keep going.  Earlier in lock down the club started internal competitions which then linked into virtual races.  It kept everyone active and was a huge success at a time when people could have "thrown in the towel" due to lockdown.  This week they started another one and it motivated me to get on my bike 3 times!
The first two were turbo sessions - a sweat fest!  Those sessions are tough but with the right targets to keep you focused and your playlist baring out at full blast, you soon get through them and you really do feel the benefit; apart from the sore bum!  My third session was out on the road it was a stunningly beautiful autumnal morning.  It was only a short ride although I could have stayed out all day it was so nice.  But as always on the narrow back roads there's always a close call.  This time a tractor with a trailer full of shit.  The first time he past me the road was wider and it was OK although it's always daunting when the tractor tyre is taller than you!  The second time was on a much narrower part and it took all my rusty bike skills not to be into a field.
Saturday was a leisurely run with a couple of pals where we took it super easy.  I was able to practice my breathing, which isn't good, by talking throughout the run.  Again another stunning day, one of those ones that makes you feel so privileged to be alive with pals in beautiful countryside, thanks Stuart & Mark.  I'd thank the rest of the runners but they were socially distancing over the horizon! 
I'd also received my medal for the 250k virtual Ultra Race Romania which is a cracker as is the T-shirt - 2XU no less!  The organisers had also included the same for Colin who had supported me through many of the miles and had covered the 250km during the race although he hadn't entered.  I thought this was very thoughtful of the organisers, thanks Andrei, and it just makes me look forward even more to the actual event in August next year.
In the meantime I think this change to adding in more cycling will become part of the routing as we enter the winter months.  More time in the gym (home) as well and we can wait to see when swimming comes back and is safe!  Never thought I'd say I've missed the swimming, but I have.  Sometimes a changes is as good as a rest so mix it up out there folks.  A good focused training session can be different from what you usually do.  Your tired muscles will thank you for it - possibly not your bum though!


No comments:

Post a Comment