Tuesday 2 January 2018

Jump start

Back in the day when I was a lad it was important to know how to jump start a car because back then they weren't as reliable as they are today.  Carrying a set of jump leads in the boot was always recommended.  Today felt like someone had attached the jump leads to me and fired up their engine which got me revved up.
I've been ticking over my running training at Chatelherault during the holidays.  Just getting used to some regular miles in my legs but promised in January I'd need to step up the miles as I'm entering the Great Glen Way (71 miles in under 22 hours - Fort William to Inverness) which is on 7 July - 185 days and counting.
Today instead of going on my normal run I headed out with some vastly experienced ultra runners and we ran the Dungavel trail.  The weather was crap.  Heavy rain which turned to sleet then snow was driven into our faces by the howling wind.  The trail was wet, muddy and slippy and the start involves a 3km climb.  It's a tough track and exactly the type of training I need.  But that doesn't mean it was enjoyable - company excluded of course.  I had to dig really deep to stay close to the other runners.  I'm sure their encouragement stopped me from jacking it in early on and heading home - need to reprogram my "chimp" to realise this is the new norm.  My system has been jump started and I need to reset my checks and balances.
As promised the gym was finished today and as if by magic my coach sent me through a core workout so I've no excuses now.  It will be goodbye to winter fat and hello (in 3 months time) to a more toned body which will allow me to complete my "A race" for 2018.  I've mentioned before my 2019 "A race" which is off the scale in difficulty.  But I've come to the conclusion that I shouldn't mention it for 186 days as my focus needs to be on the GGW Ultra.  It's a tough race and deserves my complete attention.
2018 has been jump started and I'm excited about the challenge set and the transformation that will be required to be in shape.  But here goes.  I'm looking forward to you accompanying me on this latest adventure.  All the best for 2018 and remember, a goal without a plan is just a wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment