Sunday 27 December 2015

Long shadows and short days

Merry Christmas to everyone who reads my weekly rambles as I head towards another milestone in my journey to Ironman Frankfurt (188 days) and beyond (Grand2Grand in 2017).  Christmas has come and gone and I had a wonderful time with my family.  Over the holiday period I will continue training but I won't be working so I'll get more time to refuel and rest.
In the last week I've been training hard and the results are starting to show.  Most pleasing is the increase in my strength is showing on the tougher sessions allowing me to perform better.  There have been some bum and brain numbing sessions on the turbo however as I can see results, I can put up with this discomfort and it's only temporary anyway.
People often as me what "mad" challenge I am up to but those are people who don't train for ironman.  If they did they would consider what I and many people like me do is relatively normal.  No one I train with thinks this is an impossible task.  They all have a desire to complete it as best they can and the 6 days a week training is what gets them to the start line, hopefully.
The highlight of my week, from a training perspective, was running today in the sunshine in Chatelherault Country Park with friends.  The sun was streaking through the forrest and created these amazingly long shadows.  I'll carry that image in my head forever.  We've past the shortest day so over the coming months we will have more daylight which I can't wait for.  5.30am training is hard enough in the dark and cold so a little bit of light would bring a smile to my face.  In the meatime I am going to take advantage of the days when we have long shadows and be greatful for everything I have in my life.  Speak to you again in 2016.  Here's to a happy, healthy and prosperous new year - and a few PBs (personal bests) as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment