Tuesday 2 September 2014

Countdown to this year's "A" race

The countdown is on.  When I was persuaded last year to enter the River Dart 10k race I hadn't really thought it through.  I didn't know how I was going to prepare for it but as the time approached I though starting to swim was a good idea!  The last few months have brought a certain focus and not being able to run has helped.  Last week I did an 8 x 500m session however yesterday I did my longest continuous swim (est 4,200m) and felt great when I got out the pool.  I got the pace right and tonight will be getting put through my paces at our weekly swim training session - I work harder when training in a group.  It's amazing how quickly with regular training you can build up the distance whether it be swimming, cycling (I will be back) and running (I will be back).
This morning started off with a wonderful group yoga session.  One hour of indulgence as you drift off into a different world.  I didn't want to leave my mat and inner peace but, needs must so I floated off to work.  At some stage in the future, years away, perhaps the majority of days will start off with a yoga session followed by a relaxing breakfast and a day of discovery.  But until then I will sandwich in my yoga and training along with my family life and work.  At least the yoga takes you to a very peaceful place.
On Friday morning I will have a "warm-up" swim session in the morning before my 5k open water swim on Saturday which will be my final open water practice before the 10k on the 14th.
My mind set is simple.  I've not swam 5 or 10k before but in my head I know I will complete the challenge.  I may visit dark places in my head but I'll just think of what I'll be writing in my blog to distract my mind.  I'm entering new territory and that's exciting.  After all, if I can swim 10k what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment