Monday 29 September 2014

Back to Chatelherault!

Unfortunately I missed our best summer in years due to my injury.  It would have been so good running through Chatelherault Country Park with the sun streaming through the trees but it wasn't to be and swimming became the order of the day.
I upped my running mileage on Saturday to a whopping 8km around the local streets and felt my heart rate was more under control than the previous week which was encouraging.  So on Sunday I thought, let's take a risk and see if I can complete 16km (2 laps of Chatelherault).  My theory was that if it was too hard due to the 425 ft of climbing per lap I could stop after one lap or if I needed to walk the later part of the second lap that would still be a good work out.
It was so nice to be running through the trees on the pine laden floor listening to the birds singing - they were probably saying "the old heavy breather is back"!  I was determined to take it easy and set myself a target of 50 minutes per lap which is about 4 minutes slower than normal.  I managed the first lap in 49:30 so was pleased with myself as I had no aches or pains but knew the second lap would be tougher.
The second lap was completed in 51 mins so I was happy with that and more importantly I had kept my heart rate under 160 beats per minute so felt good.  I had also run it all, with the exception of the "heart attack hill" which I always walk in true ultra runner fashion!  I can't explain how enjoyable it was to be back on this trail again as I had missed the variety of the run.  It's going to get a lot of use over the winter as I rebuild my fitness for my next challenge - details to follow soon.
My quads were telling me they had a workout but my hamstring felt fine - it's still tight and I can feel it but isn't giving me any concerns.  I feel surprisingly good this morning but yoga tomorrow will completely refresh them, so I'm chilled.
On 2nd November I've entered the Strathaven 10km which is a fast course.  If I do feel fit enough to run it, without injuring myself, then I will but all speed has gone from my legs in the past couple of years.  Just got to make sure I don't get carried away with the pace of the runners around me.
It's just a joy to be back running and I am looking forward to the start of my winter training preparing for 2015. I've a lot of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment