Sunday 19 August 2012

The "F" Word

Yesterdays half ironman didn't go to plan. Loch Tay was 12.95 degrees "warm" - my feet had lost all feeling before we started. However it was a good swim without to much violence. My transition was a disaster losing a couple of minutes struggling with wet clothing. The first climb was tough but I then settled into a rhythm and was happy with my bike until I tried to get off it. Both quads ceased. This has happened before so I carefully dismounted and prepared for my half marathon. 1 mile in the cramp was bad in my quad so I stopped to stretch it out. Immediately both quads and both hamstrings ceased up. I was in agony and could hardly stand. A Marshall gave me some water and after a few minutes I shuffled off. But another mile down the road and I decided it wasn't worth the damage I was going to do to my hamstrings. It wasn't an important race but I have never pulled out of a race before so the decision was taken with some sadness. The 2 mile walk back was made worse by people thinking I was still in the race and shouting encouragement. The organisers arranged a "medical emergency" massage which meant I skipped the queue and didn't have to pay for it - thanks guys. Lots of lessons learned but the priority is to get my legs into better shape for the Marathon des Sables. Yoga here I come! As for the "F" word, please view the Michael Jordan Nike Failure Commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc. I think that sums everything up for me.

2 comments:

  1. In some ways a difficult decision to have to make Derek, but you knew it had to be made. You won't need me to tell you though that the information gained from this will be invaluable in your MdS training and that it may more accurately focus your mind on not just the endurance side of things but correct preparation of your legs. So some positives to be taken from this "failure" in the long run. Hope the yoga helps and the hamstrings are back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy and I concur with 99% of what you say. As for the 1% I need to get my legs into shape rather than back to their normal stiff condition! My focus has sharpened as has my resolve. Appreciate the support.

      Delete