Wednesday 16 March 2011

De je vue

Day 4 in Lanza and today we got our first real sunshine.  Day 1 was getting settled in and setting the bike up, day 2 I was dropped of the back of the group after 18 minutes (some very strong cyclists here) so went off on  my own (Derek no mates!) and did 25 miles with a very nice lunch - they did 75 miles!  Day 3 was 65 miles (very hard) miles - it hurt.  Today, Day 4 was a rest day (for the very strong cyclists); it had some really easy riding (my kind of pace) and some hills that sent the HR up along with the pain - we did 50 miles (on a rest day!).
I have this feeling of de je vue.  1 Year before Ironman I completed my 1st 50 mile cycle and was walking like John Wayne wondering how I'd complete an IM, but I did it 12 months later.  Lanzarote is brutal.  Hills (9,400 feet of climb on the IM) and a constant wind that destroys you on the bike - your not allowed to draft (shelter in a group of cyclists) that's why it has the reputation of being the toughest in the world.  So my mind is saying how the heck can I manage Lanza IM in 14 months time?  A very serious training plan to work on my cycling and strength will be required along with a lot of determination and support from the family and my training partners.
The guys and gals out in Lanza have been great as I have been the "cows tail" every day and they have encouraged and helped me through this brutal regime.  Tomorrow I'm taking the day off as I need to have a rest as my body is creaking - I'm walking like John Wayne again!  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and the hills in the UK will be easier as a result - bring it on.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! My! God! and I bet your language was a we bit stronger than "heck"!

    Neil is keeping up with is training, though nothing like your endurance - swimming twice this week breaststroke (10 laps, short rest, 6 laps), on the exercise bike twice for 10mins at a good pace I think (will remind him about your fun in Lanza next time he whinges) and walking but can't convince him to step this up another notch. He has lost about 1kg between hospital check-ups of 4 weeks and the Dr's are pleased with him and of what he is trying to accomplish on behalf of the hospital and Friends of The Beatson - his Just Giving page will be up soon. Can't believe it's almost a year ago we were told his cancer had come back, what a lot can happen in 365 days!

    A cushion will be waiting on your chair in the office for your return next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maz for keeping an eye on Neil. I'll be checking up on him next week!

    ReplyDelete