Saturday 10 July 2010

35 days and counting

The weather changed the programme today, I trained indoors with a 90 minute turbo bike session.  Sweated like a pig and had to take plenty of fluids, so good practice for the 30 degrees in Copenhagen. I also received my new training programme for he next two weeks and it involves a lot of work.  Next week is concentrating on cycling although I will get in another open water swim in Loch Lomond and also an easy run.  The following week I am going training in the heat and will be focusing on my running with regular swimming.
Today my middle son Ali decided to enter the kids triathlon in Copenhagen which will be his 1st.  He's a good middle distance runner so I'll be working with him in the pool and on the bike when I get a spare minute!  Putting the three disciplines together feels weird at first so we'll see how he gets on.  Now going for a "cat nap" as I prepare to pick my eldest son up from T in the Park at 1.15am and cycle fr 6 hours on Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. You must look like a prune with all the swimming you're doing or be constantly out of breath considering you never seem to stop.
    You mention that 50% of your battle to train and later to compete is mental strength. This is true to reach any goal no matter how great or small. Mr Tufys battle is also a lot to do with his mental health and fitness and trying to keep in mind why he is going through all the tests and treatments. It also helps with both our darker moments and the setbacks we face as we go on this journey, just like you.

    We all tell you you're nuts to be doing all this training and competeing in your Ironman but remember we will also all be supporting you with our mental strength every stroke, every breath, every turn of the wheel, every step of the way. Copenhagen - look out, Derek's about and now Ali too! Mrs Tufty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you manage 6 hours on Sunday? We did 3.5 hrs on the bike & had to bail out as the wind was so strong. Genevieve is so light that she gets blown across the road when it is that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr & Mrs Tufty you are both doing great and you should keep sight of the goal in the darker moments. Mr Tufty should be used to the struggle being a blue nose like myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colin I managed the 6 hours but almost bailed out twice. It wasn't fast only managing 140km and at times I was doing 9km per hour as I crawled into the headwinds. I have been working hard on the tri bars and as you know cross wind are really dangerous and there were some seriously scary moments.

    ReplyDelete