Thursday 9 February 2012

Targets create focus

As I am getting back into my running and with only 99 days to go before I complete a marathon (after the swim and bike) I need to step the mileage up.  So yesterday I ran 12 miles.  I watched my time carefully as this indicates how "run fit" I am and was delighted to average 8 mins per mile on a hilly course.  If I didn't measure it I wouldn't have anything else to go on other than feel which isn't good enough.  After my glutes problem I wasn't surprised that I had some discomfort in the last mile but this went away afterwards.  In the build up I will improve my speed slightly but it's not about getting a fast time on the marathon, it's about putting three hard disciplines together and crossing the line in a respectable time (and in one piece!).
Due to the length of the run I took out a drink and some energy jelly.  Unfortunately at -2 degrees the jelly was not easy to chew so I spent 20 minutes trying to pick it out of my teeth as I ran - another lesson learned!  However in Lanza I will have a different problem with the heat.  That's why I will be testing everything when I am out at the training camp in March as I can't afford that type of problem on race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment