Sunday 15 May 2022

Emotional roller coaster

Peaking for races requires meticulous planning in the months leading up to the event and my coach Genevieve got my training spot on.  She delivered me to the start line in a great physical and mental shape and as the balance for success in long distance events in 60% mental, in my opinion, you need to train to handle the emotional roller coaster you are on during the event but also be aware of the "post race blues" that can affect you after the high.  I remember in my 125 km race last weekend feeling low with 7km to go.  It was a drag, literally I was dragging my arse up a 3.8km road up the hill, and my blisters were hurting.  With 6km to go I took a gel as it was obvious I was "running on fumes" and was going to "bonk".  I forced the gel down, I almost threw it back up, and my energy level recovered. As I reported last week, coming through the steep descent through the forest was tough but hearing the crowd welcome in the runners 1.5km away spurred me on and when I entered the finishing 300m in the field, all pain evaporated as I heard the crowd cheer me on and completed my fastest km of the whole 125km!
I lost 3kg during the race and had burned 10,000 calories in 2 days.  When I got to look at my blisters they were bad and were going to take some time to recover.  As a result I didn't run until Sunday.  I took the time to rest, eat and sleep after all my body was fatigued and before I start my next block of training for Romania on 11 August, I needed to recover.
I have been eating for Britain!  2 breakfasts, big lunches and dinners with snacks in between.  My body was craving food and I dutifully obliged.  I also enjoyed a few beers and glasses of wine!
Yesterday I headed out for an hours walk as my legs were desperate to get going.  This was my way of testing them to see how they were.  I then asked my coach if I could run today and was delighted when she said to head out for a 10km run but not to make it a one pace run.  I was so excited when I woke up and headed out to an area which is reasonably flat.  To describe a run is sublime may seem strange as I ran round boring roads in a new town but just the feeling of motion in my legs again and enjoying the birds singing made me extatically happy.  It was a grey day with light rain at the end but nothing could shake how wonderful it was to be back running.  I even managed a negative split and it was a pacey run.  Afterwards I rewarded myself with coffee and cake before heading home for a protein drink and lunch.
I have two main messages today: the first is the importance of managing your emotions before, during and after a race as it is like being on a roller coaster.  I haven't suffered post race blues but I believe that's because I am focused on my "A race" in August.  If that wasn't in the diary then I'd probably now feel low.  The second is your recovery.  Take the time to let your body recover before you get back to training.  This means you will come back stronger and have less chance of injury.  Rest, eat, sleep and recover - you deserve the break.  Finally good luck to Wilson Kane in Ironman 70.3 Marbella next Sunday -  go smash it mate your training has been amazing!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment