Sunday 2 May 2021

Saturday legs session

 What a week.  I'll keep it short as it's more like a medical report.  Having been going so well up to last week, things changed:
- Monday went swimming for the first time in 18 months.  Bashed ribs on the edge of the pool - no more running for a while
- No control over legs after the shredding the previous week and fell down the stairs while tenderely walking down them. Cut and bruised wrist!
-Sports massage on Tuesday - agony but it certainly helped flush out my quads.
- Sports therapist visit on Wednesday and she gave my shoulder and calf a good seeing to! Ouchy.
- Power walked Thursday & Friday, felt like it was cheating.
But then came Saturday.  I weighed up the risk of heading to the mountains as I couldn't run and any jarring was going to hurt my ribs.  But I've missed them so much that I headed off with Michael at 5am.  We summited 3 mountains, although I'm claiming 4 as to get off the hill we had to go UP!!! We covered 30km with 1,933m of climbing.  One arse clenching moment of scrambling where I found myself sliding down a wet rock towards a sharp drop but Michael was able to grab me in time - it certainlty didn't help my ribs, shoulder or pants!  We experienced glorious sun and snow showers, again amazing pictures.  What a day out.  Parts of the climb were almost vertical and it felt like a never ending step machine in the gym.  A great leg workout and as of Sunday morning, my legs aren't protesting which is exactly what I was hoping for.  My ribs are another matter - they need a rest.
So active rest is what I am going to do this week.  More power walking and hopefully my ribs will recover to allow me to get back to running.  But I need to take this time out or else the injury will be prolonged.  Take care out there and appreciate when you are fit with no injuries!

No comments:

Post a Comment