Sunday 31 January 2021

Re-calibration - at last!

Another week of snow, ice, rain and strong winds but the elements have a way of reminding you that you're alive.  I made the mistake of going out for an early run just before sun rise and it only lasted 2km - if I had any sense it would have lasted 200m. I couldn't stand up on the hill outside my house and was pulling myself up holding onto the grass verge and undergrowth!  I thought it would improve but after 100m I turned for home and went out later when it was safe.
You'll be getting tired of my stories about my heart rate and how I've been trying to run slowly and keep my heart rate down between 126-132.  On Friday I ran at 3.15 in the afternoon after a busy day at work.  As I left the house my heart rate was at 100 and by the time I'd walked to my neighbours, who was accompanying me, it was 136!  Needless to say the run was not done in the target HR.  I've said before it would take a month and as my mileage increases that would help.  Yesterday I ran for 19 km and felt good although this is the longest I've run in a long time.  I was happy how I felt.  But today, wait for it, I headed out with my pal Stu for a slow run of 9km to once again see if I could get my HR in the target zone.  We chose a flattish route but it was bitterly cold.  Despite the temperature my heart rate peaked at 133 and averaged 121 - at last!  Hopefully this is the start of the re-calibration of my HR in my runs and as we build the mileage it will settle down.  I've been measuring my resting HR when I wake in the morning and it's now averaging around 47 so I'm happy.
During January two fantastic events have been taking place and I've watched friends all over the world push themselves to achieve their goals.  Maggie's Cancer Centres (the charity I raise funds for) 50 mile run (walk) challenge had many people who wouldn't dream of walking 50 miles in a month go out and raise funds.  I was blown away by some of the people who reached the 50 miles never mind the ones that kept going as they enjoyed how they felt pushing themselves.  Congratulations to you all and keep it going!
Ultra Race Romania had another virtual 250km challenge but I wasn't able to commit to it.  It hasn't stopped me watching the URR community all supporting each other and pushing each other on.  My pal Michael Martin smashed the 250 km in 9 days and decided to keep going.  Yesterday he ran a marathon to bring his total for the month to 550km!  That's crazy and he wasn't hanging about either - his pace was very impressive.  He's definitely got the bug and I don't know what he'll do in February but a "switch" has obviously gone off in his head and anything is possible - go Michael!
We can now say good by to January and hello to February.  With some of these amazing achievements happening so early in the year, what could we accomplish by the year end.  As the days get longer get yourself outdoors and active - your body will thank you for it....once it's over the shock!

No comments:

Post a Comment